Skip to main content

International Student Information


To apply to VSA, international students must complete all of the items on the How to Apply page as well as the steps below. All materials in the application and supporting documents must be submitted in English.

Vanderbilt considers you an international student if you are a citizen of any nation other than the United States of America. You are not considered an international student if you are a dual U.S. citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident, refugee/asylee, or a U.S. citizen living abroad.

English Language Proficiency Examinations

VSA welcomes international applicants. Because of the fast-paced nature and use of specialized discipline-specific vocabulary of our courses, VSA is not a good fit for students who are not yet comfortable with reading, writing, and speaking in English. For this reason, demonstrated proficiency in English is required for applicants whose first language is not English. In addition to test scores or a portfolio application, students whose first language is not English should submit official results of the TOEFLTOEFL Special Home EditionIELTSPTE Academic, or Duolingo English Test.

  Minimum recommended score
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) – Internet-based 100
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) – Special Home Edition 100
International English Language Testing System (IELTS) 7.0
Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) 70
Duolingo English Test (DET) 120

Vanderbilt does not require English language proficiency examination scores if you have completed three of your last four educational years in a majority English-speaking curriculum. The test requirement will also be waived if a student has scored a 33 or above on the SAT Reading Test, or above a 26 on the ACT English section.

While English language proficiency scores are preferred, students without these scores may submit an English-language portfolio which should include a short description of past English language studies or speaking experience and a letter of recommendation from an English teacher. We may also request a phone or Skype interview at the discretion of the VSA admissions team.

Please also note that any supporting documents in your application (including transcripts, work samples, financial aid supporting documents, etc.) not originally in English must be accompanied by a certified translation.


All VSA students are required to have health insurance that is written by a U.S.-based company. Short-term health insurance is offered by many U.S. companies and is needed to pay for any medical attention you may need. Prior to attending VSA, you will be required to submit proof of U.S.-based health insurance.


Most students come on a visitor or tourist visa since they are not students in a college program. We, however, suggest calling immigration for further information. VSA is unable to advise you regarding the type of visa you will need or to provide supporting letters other than the typical emails provided regarding program admissions.