Vanderbilt Gifted Education Institute
Vanderbilt Programs for Talented Youth is pleased to offer professional development opportunities designed to help educators better serve and support high-ability students. Known collectively as the Vanderbilt Gifted Education Institute, we endeavor to develop those who work with them throughout the academic year and summer.
Employment Standard – Professional Development Opportunity
Best Practices in Identifying and Teaching the Gifted Learner: Tennessee Employment Standard 2023
August 27, 2023 to January 6, 2024
Join us for this exciting educational experience that explores ways to identify gifted learners and differentiate instruction for them.
In this intensive training you will engage in a variety of learning experiences such as projects, discussions, lectures, modeling, and collaboration with other education professionals.
Topics discussed include the following:
- Misconceptions and myths about gifted students
- Conceptions and characteristics of giftedness
- Identification and assessment of gifted students, including those typically underrepresented in gifted programs
- Working with special populations of gifted students
- Social and emotional development of the gifted child
- Evidence supported instructional strategies for working with gifted students in a variety of settings
- Selecting and evaluating curriculum resources
Click Here for Dates, Times, and Registration Options!
Other Resources for Educators and Families
We view our mission at PTY as supporting students and families in developing their talents. We recognize that many families and teachers are figuring out how to help their young students operate in an online learning environment. In an effort to connect you with resources during this time, we would like to share that the National Association for Gifted Children (NAGC) has created a website for families and educators that includes parent tip sheets regarding how to talk to your child about COVID-19, teaching in an online learning setting, and links to student activities and virtual learning options. In addition, PTY has taken modified select lessons from our field-tested and published curriculum for your use at home.