Programs for Talented Youth is dedicated to aiding parents and families of academically advanced and high-achieving students as they foster the talents and abilities of their children. We offer parent support groups to help parents better understand and deal with the unique social, emotional, and cognitive needs of gifted students. We also offer a list of resources to help inform and empower parents of gifted students.
Spring 2024: Parent Support Group
Raising academically advanced children can be exciting, rewarding, and sometimes overwhelming. Their social and emotional needs and cognitive timetables are often out of sync with those of their peers. It can be difficult to find other parents who understand the particular joys and frustrations posed by these developmental differences. Parent support groups offer families the opportunity to connect with other parents of academically advanced children and learn about the following topics:
- Teaching Self-Management
- Intensity and Perfectionism
- Communication of Feelings
- Peer Relationships
- Family Relationships
- Establishing Discipline
Vanderbilt Programs for Talented Youth offers support group opportunities throughout the year. The meetings are held on Vanderbilt’s campus.
Dates of Session:
Time: 9:00AM to Noon
Cost: The cost for participation is $125 for one parent/guardian and $50 for each for each additional parent/guardian.
Summer Description: The parent group sessions will be facilitated by a professional school counselor who has experience working with high-ability students and their parents. Parenting Gifted Children, edited by the National Association for Gifted Children (NAGC), will be used as a supportive reference during this session. The book is included with the registration fee.
Participants will be able to register for the parent group through SchoolDoc.
If you already have a SchoolDoc account for your student, please complete the following steps.
After you login to your existing SchoolDoc account (https://app.schooldoc.com/register/vanderbiltpty):
- In the left column, click the + NEW PARTICIPANT button.
- Add your name and birth date.
- Click the CONTINUE button.
- You can then choose to register for a new session under your name.
- In the Session filter, choose “Parents” and the Parent Group will appear.
- If you are registering for two parents, you will need to complete the steps above twice (one for each parent/guardian). You will enter “PGROUP” as the coupon code on your second registration so that you are only charged $50 for the additional parent registration.
Other Links and Resources
- National Association for Gifted Children – Resource Page
- Book: Keys to Parenting the Gifted Child
- Book: Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnosis of Gifted
- The Davidson Institute – Searchable Database of Research Articles by Topic
- General Social/Emotional Issues – Hoagies’ Gifted Web site
- General Issues – Supporting Emotional Needs of Gifted (SENG)
- Hoagies’ Gifted: Seachable Database for Parents and Educators
- Parenting the Highly Gifted
- SENG: Selecting a Mental Health Professional for Your Gifted Child