Summer SAVY 2017, Session 1/Day 1- Dive into Design (Rising 1st)

Posted by on Monday, June 12, 2017 in SAVY, Uncategorized.

Dear Parents,

Today was a fabulous first day for our Dive into Design class! I was so pleased to welcome back previous friends from Fall and Spring weekend SAVY courses. We began our day talking about what a concept map is as I modeled one of my own. Students then practiced by brainstorming the concept: “dog”. After that activity, each student filled out their own concept map to show what they know about measurement. From these concept maps, my assistant, Emily and I can get a good picture of student pre-existing background knowledge of measurement. This will guide instruction this week.

Following that task, I guided students through an activity towards creating more rigor with the concept of brainstorming. Students were asked to imagine a scenario where people had wheels on their bodies, but no feet. They were asked to brainstorm ways people with wheels for feet could go up a steep hill, come down a steep hill by stopping and at come up with at least three things that would be very difficult to do with wheels for feet. Students came up with some very creative problem solving ideas for each problem question. The goal of this activity was to expand and grow deeper problem solving thinking.

Next, I presented a variety of small objects (without using the word model yet), including a car, a truck, an airplane, a military plane and a solar activated moving monkey under a palm tree. Students were asked to think about what the objects have in common, and what they could be named. I also asked students if the objects reminded them of anything in the real world. After allowing for personal think and reflection time, I asked students to discuss ideas with another peer. Then students shared their thoughts and after a wonderful discussion, students, students asked me to reveal what the word was for the objects. I then showed my Frayer Model of Vocabulary with the word model. Students then gave input to fill in the descriptors on the Frayer Model, such as our class definition, what a model is, examples and non-examples. Students now have a strong understanding of what a model is and what they are useful.

After that activity, students saw examples of house blueprints and types of swimming pools. We discussed the importance of drawing plans first before building or constructing in the real world. In the final activity of the day, students created their own dream swimming pool plans on graph paper. Students also illustrated further ideas in their personal Design Plan Book.

Tomorrow we will learn more about measurement and why accuracy is important as we begin designing our swimming pool models! If you have time for dinner table discussion tonight, here is a question students will respond to tomorrow. A swimming pool is about to be built in your neighborhood. The architect and the construction workers need your help to figure out how to build it. The community has had several meetings to decide how to design the pool, but everyone seems to have different ideas about how deep the pool should be, what shape it should be, and what special features would be important. The adults cannot seem to agree on a design, so now the architect has decided to ask you for your ideas! What ideas would you share with the architect?

More diving in tomorrow!

Mrs. Tyson (Miss Karen to the students)