Fall Saturday SAVY, Week 2, Becoming a Botanist (K)
To begin on Saturday, we observed the terrariums planted last week and discussed changes. We noticed condensation on the roof of the terrariums and learned about the water cycle.
We then compared two different flowers, using three of our senses to compare them. We discussed the process of pollination and why plants have flowers.
We ended the day by dissecting soaked lima beans, noticing the seed coat, the embryo where the leaves and roots will grow from, and the food storage parts of the bean. We compared soaked red, pinto, and lima beans and finally prepared our zip-lock bags with lima beans to observe how they have grown through the upcoming week. Students can either bring these bags in next week or just describe to us what they noticed throughout the week.
Questions to ask our budding botanists:
- What actions do you remember from learning about evaporation, condensation, and precipitation?
- What senses did you use to compare the two flowers?
- What is pollination?
- What part of the flower does the pollen stick to?
- What do we get from the pollinated flower?
- What do you think will happen with our beans throughout the week?