Summer SAVY Session 4, Day 4, Animal Adaptations (Kent)
Day 4: We started our day discussing specific adaptations that organisms use for survival. These adaptations included behavior as well as body parts. We then learned about different appendages and how they are used by a variety of organisms for survival. We broke down Scientific Classification and gave examples from each Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, and Species. We learned a little fun phrase that might help them remember the order. We spoke about interactions between animals. This discussion included not only Predator and Prey but Symbiotic Relationships. Students then thought about an animal they want to learn more about and do research on for their presentation to the class tomorrow.
Questions to ask over dinner:
- What is one animal adaptation you discussed today? (If a prompt is needed, see if they recall adaptations of the clam, shark, opossum, starfish, stingrays, or dolphin)
- What is an appendage and how are they used by different animals for survival?
- How can you remember the order of Scientific Classification?
- What is a Symbiotic Relationship?
- What animal will you be researching more about for your presentation tomorrow?