Summer Career Connections Session 6, Day 5, The Next Great Debate

Posted by on Friday, July 28, 2023 in blog, SAVY.

Friday July 28, 2023 

Good evening and a final goodbye to our families and great debaters! Today we finished up our Lincoln-Douglas debate from yesterday. Both teams did an EXCELLENT job and blew the moderators away. Y’all have certainly improved over the week and I hope you have also had a ton of fun! For the rest of the day, we reviewed concepts, tips, tricks, strategies, and vocabulary and tweaked the Austral-Asia debate format so that we could have more rebuttal and response (our favorite part!). We prepared for a final debate about nuclear weapon development (VERY high stakes topic) and organized the room in a professional debating format. Although our final debate had a few awkward moments and was very high energy and fun, all of your great debaters did an excellent job. The arguments were concise and to the point. The teams both used logos, ethos, and pathos throughout. The rebuttals were respectful and specific. The judges worked hard to provide feedback and to make a fair and unbiased assessment. The opening and closing statements were interesting, well delivered, and compelling. I’m so proud of y’all! 

Unfortunately, we did not have enough time to get through our Galaxy Adventure Game – but I hope you had a lot of fun and learned a lot over the week. I know I did! I will leave you with this as your last treasure bonus: believe in yourselves and your abilities, ideas, positions, and voice! I hope to see you next summer!