Summer SAVY Session 1, Day 5 – Creative Contraptions (Kent)
Day 5: The final project for today was to create a contraption to carry a ball from the floor up to the table, and then to the other end of the table. Students needed to use at least two simple machines in their design. We finished all the fine-tuning of the contraptions and then demonstrated to the group how they worked in our Contraption Fair.
Students learned a lot through the creative problem-solving process. There were many redesigns during the construction process. There were also discussions on changes they would make in order for their contraptions to work more effectively.
Guiding questions for families to ask students:
- What problems did you encounter when constructing your contraption that you had to overcome?
- What simple machines are included in your contraption?
- Would you change your design and if so, what would you do?
- What was the best part about the creative construction process?
- How did you use the information you learned throughout the week to complete your contraption?
It has been such a privilege working with this curious, creative, and hardworking group this week. Thank you for sharing these bright minds and sweet souls with us,