Spring SAVY 2022 – Creative Contraptions for 1st/2nd Grade (Tyson)

Posted by on Monday, February 28, 2022 in blog, SAVY.

Dear parents:

We had a great day in our Creative Contraptions SAVY class. We begin our morning getting to know each other through with a creativity activity called, “Be the thing”. Students were to imagine that they were as a “Suitcase” and answer thee questions: How do you feel? What are your thoughts? and, What will you do? Responses included, “ I will go everywhere in the world”, “ I am mess”, “I am stuck in a tight place”, “What it my owner loses me ”, “ I don’t like this!”, “I think I will talk to someone”, “I feel scared” and, “Get me out!” We laughed a lot at these thoughts!

Throughout the class we used an inventor’s notebook to guide our learning. In our inventor’s notebooks, we documented ongoing discussions that were riveting to all.

We focused on some of the following questions for the day:

1. What do we know about simple machines?
  2. What do we want to know about simple machines?
  3. How can we find out?
  4. How do scientist and inventors collaborate to create a contraption that uses simple machines?
  5. How are systems involved when inventors create contraptions that employ the use of simple machines?

After our simple machine investigation, we applied our new knowledge of simple machines and systems to take on the roles of inventors and scientists as we created our own contraptions that would solve problems! We shared our contraptions and clapped for all!

This was a great day!