Spring SAVY 2017, Day 3- Designing Shakespeare

Posted by on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 in Grade 5, Grade 6, SAVY.

I’m sorry that I couldn’t be with you for long on Saturday, but I’m so glad that you were able to meet and work with my friend, Nettie Kraft. I circled back with Nettie later in the day, and she told me that she found your ideas impressive, your creativity formidable, and your interpretations of Prospero inventive AND well supported! I haven’t yet seen your renderings, but I’m eager to do so on Saturday!

By looking at some of Prospero’s text from the character’s first and last appearances, you noted contradictions in the character. Those ambiguities and changes informed your imagery, and hopefully went far towards shaping your ideas about design: there are no right or wrong answers, there are simply choices that can be defended – and, for this reason, there are infinite possibilities. Our only limitations are the scope of our imagination and the depth of our analysis of the text.

Also as part of your work, you encountered Ariel, a spirit in the employment of Prospero. Ariel is one of two characters we’ll look at on Saturday – the other is Caliban, a strange and thorny individual.  It’s going to be exciting to imagine Ariel and Caliban, especially given our investigation of binary qualities. Some might argue that Prospero’s two servants are like oil and water, while others might find unexpected similarities between the two.

I hope that you enjoyed your week. I’m eager to be back in the room with you soon!

Sincerely,

David