Summer SAVY, Session 6 Day 5, Individuality vs Conformity (5th-6th)

Posted by on Friday, July 26, 2024 in blog, SAVY.

Hello and, sadly, goodbye SAVY families! 

The last day is always a bittersweet time for me. On the one hand, our wonderful individuals in this course have (hopefully) grown and learned new and exciting things. On the other hand, I will have to say goodbye and wait to see them next year. True to this class’s title, we had such a wonderful group of unique personalities, learning styles, and ideas reflected in our final project!  

We extended our time for TED Talk preparation – and because the students were so diligent in developing excellent content and playing with the style of a persuasive, motivational, or informative speech – we rolled our podcast and TED Talk into one project and were able to audio record all of the talks on fun collar clip mics. Just like in a real TED Talk!  

I must say, I was so impressed throughout this week with our SAVY students and they most certainly did not disappoint in the end! The projects were well-researched, interesting, visually appealing, well-presented, funny, and absolutely UNIQUE to each group or single presenter. Our teams were engaged listeners during the other presentations and gave feedback at the end. Ask your students about some of the reasons the rest of the class thought your student was stellar and about some of the things they were able to learn from others.  

Remember students: you are all interlocuters and adjudicators in your own way to others and you have a unique voice and perspective on the world that is worth exploring and sharing! I hope your prism lenses, magnifying glasses, and world/galaxy balls will remind you to keep investigating and discovering the world through changing lenses and perspectives and to keep reaching for the stars in your own individually beautiful ways! 

It has been an absolute honor to be your guide, your teacher, and your friend. I promised not to cry until the end, so I’ll sign off now!  

Until next summer,  

Ms. Rho 

P.S. Where does a bad rainbow go? To prism. It’s a light sentence, but it gives plenty of time for reflection.