Spring SAVY 2020: Day 2 – Creative Contraptions w/Dr. Wesby (3rd/4th)
Creative Contraptions Day 2 was awesome! We researched, built, and tested all six simple machines.
- Wheel & Axle: made of one or more wheels turning on a rod called an axle.
- Wedge: used to change the direction of a force & increase it.
- Pulley: wheel turning on an axle and a rope moving in a groove.
- Lever: made of an arm that pivots on a support to lift a load
- Incline Plane: made of a slope, enables a small force to lift a load a long distance
- Screw: an inclined plane wrapped around a pole. Screws can be used to lift things or to hold them together.
Students had a great time testing old and new simple machines while developing ideas for their own creations.
Next week, students will create a compound/complex machine using the information gathered from this week’s experiments. The machine must make life easier or solve a problem. So parents get ready for some unique creations coming from our little scientists/engineers! We can’t wait to show off what we’ve learned at the SAVY open house in our classroom.
Leave a Response