Spring SAVY 2019, Day 2 – The Water-Energy Nexus (5th/6th)
Today was a great second class.
· We first reviewed some of the material from last week, including the pros and cons of various hydropower systems and the scientific method.
· Then, we continued working on our hydropower experiment (determining the influence of potential energy on turbine output voltage).
· Then we went through some of the equations and vocabulary related to buoyancy to show how forces associated with water may change with salinity.
· Then we constructed our floating rafts and tested the amount of mass that could be held by the rafts in both pure water and salty water.
· Then we closed out the day with a discussion on the ethics associated with polluting rivers and the legal decisions that may protect rivers.
· Then we wrote journal entry summaries of the day and the class was dismissed.
Looking forward to next week!