Summer SAVY 2017, Session 2/Day 2- Digging for the Past (Rising 4th/5th)

Posted by on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 in SAVY.

We spent another great day as budding archaeologists today! First, we recapped what we learned yesterday and talked about some of the big questions archaeologists ask. I was pleased at how much detail everyone remembered! We then spent most of the morning talking about ethics in archaeology. We reviewed several archaeological case studies, and the class weighed on whether difficult situations were handled ethically or not. This can be a really difficult topic to tackle, but it is also a really critical part of archaeological research. I was pleasantly surprised by the thoughtful responses I heard from the class! Everyone took time to think through the situations and try to come up with ethical solutions.

After lunch, we walked over to the Anthropology Lab, and Ms. Tammy (a fellow archaeologist) gave us a tour of both the Ceramics Lab (where I work) and the Osteology Lab. The students used what we had learned in the morning and practiced really ethical behavior in both labs! They also asked really insightful questions, and everyone was really excited to see all the bones!

Tomorrow, I am planning another outdoor activity, so I hope everyone remembers to bring their water bottles!

Ms. Johnson