Summer SAVY 2016 (Session 4PM, Day 8) – Story Creations

Posted by on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 in Grade K, SAVY.

Dear Parents:

IMPORTANT REVISION ON OPEN HOUSE PLEASE READ. I am so sorry that I told you our open house is in the morning!!! Please forgive me! I have been teaching morning sessions all summer until this session, so I had a brain slip. Friday is our Open House, but it is in the afternoon from 3:13-3:45, not in the morning. It is your opportunity to let your children take you through their story creation writing and learning over the two weeks we have been together. The Open House is in our classroom, Murray, 4th floor. I look forward to seeing you then. I apologize for any inconvenience I may have caused by telling you the wrong time, initially.

We began our day today with a continuation of Author’s Spotlight so that everyone from yesterday got a chance to read today. Next, we looked at the many different forms poetry can take. We analyzed the characteristics of poetry and even talked about our favorite forms of poetry. We also learned how to name rhyming patterns and assign patterns or rhyming schemes to poetry, such as ABAB, AABB, ABCB. After our discussion, we wrote our own class poem. Everyone chimed in and the result was astounding!

Next, students wrote their own poems. We enjoyed sharing our poems to the class and being wowed by the rhyming schemes of the poems.

At the end of the day, I taught students how to do a Socratic Seminar. Our topic was storytelling and its impact on culture and culture’s impact on storytelling. We defined and discussed what culture is, and we listened to an African storyteller tell a story with a larger message on how everything in the world is connected and how we need to weigh our decisions before we make them because of the consequences those decisions can have on other living things that are connected. Tomorrow students will write their own stories with culture incorporated, and a lesson we can learn from the story.

More pen, once again, tomorrow

Sincerely,

Ms. Fletcher