Summer SAVY 2016 (Session 4PM, Day 7) – Story Creations

Posted by on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 in Grade K, SAVY.

Dear Parents:

Our day began as we gathered together at the carpet to think about the personal narratives we started yesterday. I asked the class to think about how they could make their stories better, like effective authors do. I told the children that when I teach writing to my third graders each year in my classroom, I tell them, “When you think you are done, you have only just begun.” I asked the students what they thought I mean by that statement. One student replied that we could write more. We all agreed that this is a great idea. Then I asked for another good idea. This question lead to the thought that we could also mine for more vivid descriptions to substitute for less impactful words. We talked about replacements for words such as happy, mad, fun, and we came up with synonyms such as furious in place of mad, and joyful instead of happy.

Next, I read one of my favorite personal narrative stories, “Fireflies”, by Julie Brincklo., As I read the text, I stopped and pointed out figurative language, similes, and choice vivid descriptive words the author used In the story. This type of mentor author reading is a great thing to do at home when you read with your children! After reading the story, students continued writing their personal narratives. Miss Sheyann and I sat with students and helped guide them and provide positive feedback as they wrote. The words were really flowing. When students finished their narratives, they created an illustration to go with their narrative.

Finally, we ended our day with author’s spotlight! Friday is our open house. It is your opportunity to let your children take you through their story creation writing and learning over the two weeks we have been together. The open house is from 9:00am-9:30am and it is in our classroom, Murray Floor 4.

More pen, once again, tomorrow

Sincerely,

Ms. Fletcher