Summer SAVY 2016 (Session 4AM, Day 8) – Budding Botanist

Posted by on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 in Grade K, SAVY.

Field Trip Day!

The kids have decided that today was the best day ever!  We had so much fun at the greenhouse on campus.  It is actually located on the 7th floor, and had rooms that were cool for plants that grow in higher elevations or cooler environments, a hot house for tropical plants, and a drier, warm area for cacti and other desert plants.  Some of the highlights of the visit were seeing the poison dart frogs in the aquarium in Dr. Erteldt’s office, pitcher plants, a strangling fig, a growing pineapple, and the flower of a cactus that only blooms once a year and at night!  It relies on attracting bats for pollination! 

The kids learned a great deal and their behavior was wonderful.  They were very engaged and very interested in everything that they saw!  By the time we came back and took a nice water break and ate snacks, it was almost time to go!  So, we had a brief lesson about desert habitats and they headed to lunch!

I wanted to let you know that I will be in Virginia for the last two days of camp because I am presenting at an international gifted conference for SENG (Supporting Emotional Needs of the Gifted international organization).  Mrs. Fletcher will be teaching them tomorrow and Friday, and we have great plans in place for the kids for Thursday and Friday!  I hate that I will not be available to meet with you on Friday at the open house, but I want you to know that I appreciate you all.  I have really enjoyed working with your children and they are terrific kids!

Have a wonderful summer!

Dr. Mall