Summer SAVY 2016 (Session 3, Day 2) – Brain Blast

Posted by on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 in Grade 1, Grade 2, SAVY.

Our second day of brain blast was filled with gaining more insight into the many parts of the brain including the different lobes of the cerebrum, the brain stem, limbic system, and cerebellum. By exploring the structures of the brain and their corresponding functions, students began to get a sense of the complexity of the brain.  Many oohs, aahs, and occasionally a few “yucks” were heard during class as I brought out my very own sheep brain. Students not only got to see first hand the structures we had been discussing, but also got to touch the brain.  The last part of class was all about protecting our precious brains as students used the engineering design method to design a helmet for their test brains. I was very impressed by the creative teamwork and engineering I saw displayed by many of the students.  Get ready tomorrow to dive even deeper into the brain as we learn about its specialized cells, the neurons and glia.  Students can learn more about the lobes of the brain by visiting the PBS  website: http://www.pbs.org/wnet/brain/3d/

See you tomorrow!

Dr. Zeiger and Ms. Jordyn