Summer SAVY 2016 (Session 2, Day 1) – Genetics II (Mrs. Jones)

Posted by on Monday, June 20, 2016 in Grade 3, Grade 4, SAVY.

Hi Parents! Mrs. Jones here! We had a fantastic day in Genetics today! I so enjoyed getting to know your kids, and I sure hope they had as much fun today as I did.

This morning we focused on learning what it takes to be a good scientist and geneticist. We learned all about the Scientific Method and how this process is circular, with the conclusions from one experiment forming hypotheses for another experiment and so on. We also learned about the difference between observations (information gathered using our 5 senses) and inferences (conclusions reached based on our observations and background knowledge). While some of the students had a hard time understanding how these things related to genetics, I stressed to them how important these skills are to becoming a good scientist and geneticist.

In the afternoon we learned a little bit more background into genetics by studying the cell, the building block of all living things. We learned about how the cell is much like a city. For example, the nucleus is like the Town Hall or City Government because it houses the DNA, the “lawbook” for life. In the same way that cities come together to form states, countries, continents, and ultimately the world, cells come together to form tissues, organs, organ systems, and ultimately the living organism. In the end, the students worked in groups to create their own model cells. I was blown away by the creativity your kids showed!

Your kids are asking great questions and I can’t wait to dive deeper into the world of genetics with them!