Summer SAVY 2022 Seasonal Employment
Teaching Assistant Opportunities
Summer Academy at Vanderbilt for the Young (SAVY), a program for students in rising 1-8 grade, is seeking qualified undergraduate and graduate students interested in joining Summer SAVY 2022 as teaching assistants for SAVY summer classes.
The Teaching Assistant (TA) works with the instructor and SAVY staff to ensure that students are appropriately challenged, supported, and supervised during their time with the program.
Summer SAVY 2022 Dates*:
- Session 1: June 13-17
- Session 2: June 20-24
- Session 3: June 27-July 1
- Session 4: July 11-15
- Session 5: July 18-22
- Session 6: July 25-29
Teaching Assistant Expectations:
Within their wide array of duties and responsibilities, VSA Teaching Assistants manage four domains of responsibility:
- Program Support — Supervise students, provide accountability to students and instructors for program schedules and policies, assist VSA staff on check-in and check-out days which may fall on weekend afternoons, adhere to and support compliance of program and university policies including the protection of minors, guidelines and regulations, and provide additional support as determined by administrative staff.
- Logistical Support — Set up for labs and other classroom activities and other duties necessary to the smooth operations of the classroom.
- Pedagogical Classroom Support — Assist with differentiated instruction, classroom management and engagement, work with the instructor to develop short teaching/breakout models as appropriate, supervise study halls and labs as applicable. Teaching Assistants will also coordinate meetings with instructors prior to the program to help prepare for the class.
- Student Support — Liaise with appropriate staff about students’ socio-emotional and academic concerns.
Teaching Assistant Hours:
Approximately 8:00AM to 4:30PM
* TAs may work one or multiple sessions. Preference will be given to applicants who are available for the entirety of the summer. Dates subject to change.
All individuals interested in the teaching assistant position must complete the PTY Employment Interest Form and submit a current resume/CV. Submissions are reviewed on a rolling basis until all spots have been filled.