Teaching for our Programs
Proposing a Class for PTY
PTY has year round teaching opportunities for context experts (middle and high school programs) and educators (elementary programs and content experts). If you are interested in learning more, please reach out to schedule a conversation. We would enjoy learning more about your academic journey and current work.
It is preferred that those expressing interest in teaching in our middle and high school programs have, or be working toward, a terminal degree (e.g. Ph.D.). Compensation is competitive based on qualifications and experience. To schedule a conversation, please send your CV along with availability to meet for an initial conversation with the applicable program director:
- Marisa Flores for SAVY (K-6 grade) and Career Connections at SAVY (7-8 grade).
- Mark Shivers for WAVU (7-12 grade), Mentor Immersion (10-12 grade), Rising Experts (7-9 grade) and VSA (7-12 grade).
Summer Academy at Vanderbilt for the Young (SAVY)
Summer SAVY is a day program for students going into grades 1-6. Different course options are offered to all students in June and July. Each course is designed to be a week long so that students may delve deep into the content. Students sign up for one or more weeks depending on their schedules and interests. Classes last from 8:45 AM – 3:45PM on weekdays. Instructors may teach one or multiple weeks. If an instructor teaches multiple weeks, the instructor will teach different classes and/or different grade levels.
Career Connections at Summer SAVY
Career Connections at SAVY is a day program specifically designed for students going into grade 7 & 8. Different course options are offered to all students in July. Each course is designed to be a week long so that students may delve deep into the content. Students sign up for one or more weeks depending on their schedules and interests. Classes last from 8:45 AM – 3:45PM on weekdays. Instructors may teach one or multiple weeks. If an instructor teaches multiple weeks, the instructor will teach different classes.
Vanderbilt Summer Academy (VSA)
Vanderbilt is a residential program for students going into grade 7-12. Sessions are divided by grade. Rising 7-8th graders stay for one week while 9-10th & 11-12th graders stay for two weeks. Classes meet weekdays from about 8:45AM – 3:45PM. Our two week sessions also require a 10:00AM – 12:00PM Saturday commitment.
Mentor Immersion (Virtual Program)
PTY’s mentorship program is a unique experience offering in-depth exposure in a field of interest and the potential for independent research or a culminating product to be created with expert feedback. During the academic year, the Mentor Immersion virtual program runs for six months and is offered specifically for 10th through 12th grade students. During the summer, the Mentor Immersion virtual program is condensed into a three-month experience offering the same amount of content on an abbreviated timeline.
PTY offers classes to academically advanced students in grades K-12. Our students typically rank in the 95th percentile or higher on a nationally normed ability or achievement assessment, out-of-level assessment, or college entrance exam. Thus our courses are…
- Accelerated: Students take one course while they are with us, learning in depth material at a faster pace and more advanced level (about 3 grades) than in a typical classroom.
- Collegial: Instructors serve the role of scholar-mentor to a class of about 16 gifted students, teaching not only the material they need to know, but the methods, habits, and practices of a scholar in that field.
- Focused: Courses strive for depth of content rather than a broad outline of information.
- Unique: Courses should not be like what students could otherwise take at school.