Summer SAVY – Teaching Assistant Position
SAVY is no longer accepting statements of interest for summer 2020. Please check back for information regarding available positions for future fall, spring, or summer SAVY programs. For questions about available or future positions at SAVY, please contact Emilie Hall.
|Summer SAVY 2020|
|Session 1: June 8-12|
|Session 2: June 15-19|
|Session 3: June 22-26|
|Session 4: July 6-10|
|Session 5: July 13-17|
|Session 6: July 20-24|
SAVY is an academic program offered by Programs for Talented Youth that provides a dynamic, fast-paced curriculum experience to qualifying gifted children in grades K–6. Students in the program typically test around the 95th percentile on an ability test or in one or more subjects on an academic achievement test. Content experts and master teachers trained in gifted education implement an accelerated curriculum for SAVY courses with teaching assistants helping in the classroom.
In general, the TA has four domains of responsibility:
- Program Support — Supervise students, provide accountability to students and instructors for program schedules and policies, understand and implement program and university policies related to protection of minors, and provide additional support as determined by administrative staff.
- Logistical Support — Procure copies and materials for the instructor, set up for labs and other classroom activities, assist with arrival and dismissal each day, and other duties necessary to the smooth operations of the classroom.
- Pedagogical Support — Assist with differentiated instruction, work with the instructor to support student learning in the classroom
- Student Support — Work closely with students in the classroom and serve as a liaison with appropriate staff about students’ socio-emotional and academic concerns.
Standard TA Hours:
- Monday-Friday, 8:00AM – 4:30PM
- TAs may work one or multiple weeks.
- Teaching Assistants will also coordinate meetings with instructors prior to the program to help prepare for each class.
- Please note that this is a full-time position. Teaching Assistants cannot hold down other jobs or classes that require work during the SAVY day.
Other Important Information:
- Competitive hourly wage.
Individuals interested in this position should have or be seeking a degree in education or a related field and have experience working with students in an academic setting. Current upperclassmen and Master’s students preferred.
Interested in Joining the SAVY Team?
To be considered for a summer position, please submit a SAVY Employment Interest form using the link below. Interest forms will be reviewed on a rolling basis until all positions have been filled. For questions, please contact the SAVY Assistant Director, Emilie Hall.