Program Assistant Job Description & Qualifications
Program Dates and Times:
For all members of residential staff, there will be a few hours commitment prior to the program dates.
VSA Summer Program, Including Residential Staff Training: June 1, 2017–July 30, 2017
To submit an application, Click this link and follow the instructions.
Application due date: February 1, 2017
Job Description: The Program Assistant (PA) position is a pivotal position within the VSA summer office staff, responsible for managing a variety of tasks essential to VSA operations. The work of the PA ensures that day-to-day operations run smoothly for all VSA parties, including residential life programming, academic and classroom requests, parent questions and concerns, and student needs. PAs work with and report to the VSA Residential Leadership Team, though as a group, they will be supervised by the VSA Logistics Manager. Individual tasks and assignments will vary according to strengths, schedules, and interests of each PA, but general responsibilities include establishing a friendly and professional point of contact in the VSA office, directing calls, managing medication procedures, monitoring supply and equipment inventory, handling academic requests for materials, and assisting with all Check-in/Check-out procedures. Additionally, the Program Assistant serves as a responsible adult presence to VSA students and staff in the residential hall. Program Assistants will work closely with each other and all members of residential life to form a team of individuals dedicated to fostering a safe and supportive residential community that prioritizes student wellbeing.
Within their wide array of duties and responsibilities, VSA PAs are expected to:
- As a member of the residential staff, Program Assistants will work closely with other PAs, residential leadership team members, academic staff, proctors and students to accomplish program goals and to address problems in a timely manner.
- Liaise between academic and residential life, serving as communication touch point between TAs and the VSA office.
- Identify specific areas of interest that contribute positively to VSA operations (e.g., social media, publications, academic interests, and photography).
- Adhere to medicine procedures and documentation in a responsible and confidential manner.
- Assist residential staff with office procedures, schedules, and record keeping (desk shifts, days off, receipts, petty cash, van sign-outs, etc.).
- Distribute and file action logs, maintaining confidentiality.
- Facilitate communication across the program, understanding that the VSA office is the headquarters of VSA operations.
Because we expect Program Assistants to model appropriate behavior for students, we ask PAs to refrain from the following, and engaging in any of theses behaviors while employed by VSA could constitute immediate dismissal and ineligibility for rehire:
- Possession/consumption of alcoholic beverages on campus or in the presence of students
- Possession, consumption, sale or distribution of illegal drugs
- Stealing or violence of any kind
- Maliciously breaking or damaging the property of others
- Possession of weapons
- Leaving the residence hall after curfew or returning after curfew (excludes “off” days and medical emergencies)
- Sexually inappropriate behavior
- Smoking while around students
- Inappropriate language
- Having overnight visitors inside the residence hall
Qualifications: The ideal candidate will be exceptionally mature, have strong organizational and communication skills, a confident and professional demeanor, experience working with teenagers and have a flexible and fair-minded approach to the working environment. Residential life/camp counseling experience a plus. A strong team player ethic and sense of humor an absolute must! This position is ideal for individuals seeking to gain professional experience in summer academic programs and residential life. Graduate students are also welcome to apply.
Note also that employment with any PTY program will require a background check and viewing of essential training modules. Details regarding such requirements will be provided should applicant be selected for an interview.