Head of Student Support
Head of Student Support
The Head of Student Support (HSS) is part of a residential leadership team, which takes full responsibility for Vanderbilt Summer Academy residential life, including but not limited to the residential hall, residential staff, and all VSA students. This position will be specifically responsible for nurturing and shaping a strong and welcoming socio-emotional environment in which the VSA students reside. Additionally, the Head of Student Support will be the primary contact for parents/guardians, should communication be necessary. The Head of Student Support will report to the Vanderbilt Summer Academy Director.
Ideal candidate should:
- Have residential life and/or summer camp experience at the secondary school or college level.
- Experience with counseling, mentorship, conflict resolution, and/or mediation.
- Strong organizational and communication skills along with proven problem-solving abilities highly desirable.
- Ability to handle unexpected student issues a must, including but not limited to: student illness, behavior, violations of stated community code of conduct, etc.
- Be highly mature and able to assist with management residential community of a summer academic program for teens.
- Engage willingly as a team player, with humor, enthusiasm and a compassionate understanding of middle and high school students.
- Candidate must be able to live in the summer residence hall with VSA students and proctor staff.
- Candidate must hold a Bachelor’s degree. Current graduate students and individuals with a Master’s degree are encouraged to apply.
- Must be at least 21 years of age by start-date of employment. Must also have valid driver’s license and be willing and able to drive VSA vehicles.
Expectations regarding seasonal time commitment:
- Due to the nature of the position, the Head of Student Support is expected to be present and available throughout VSA. Academic classes, part-time jobs, and scheduled recreational commitments are not permitted during employment.
- As a member of the Residential Leadership Team, this person will work closely with other leadership team members to accomplish program goals and to address problems in a timely manner.
- Available for the term of employment: May-July, 2017. May hours are flexible. Position becomes a full time live-in position, which includes housing and most meals for June and July.
With regard to student support, this individual will:
- Establish and communicate an environment of support to staff and students.
- Serve as a resource to students and proctors who may need that extra level of guidance when dealing with a personal, roommate, or family issue or when struggling with a group dynamic.
- Facilitate communication across the program when student issues come to the surface, helping to bring necessary parties together in service of the student.
- Empower proctors to engage with their students in respectful, meaningful, and thoughtful ways.
As a supervisor of residential staff, the Head of Student Support will:
- Develop and co-lead a staff training week that appropriately addresses the many facets of residential supervision and mentorship.
- Establish and uphold all expectations for proctor roles and responsibilities.
- Serve as support, guide, and resource to proctors in all aspects of their multi-faceted roles.
Regarding University and program codes of conduct, the AD for Student Support will:
- Exemplify VSA’s purpose, identify and communicate the cornerstones of a respectful residential and academic community, and serve as a role model for all staff and students.
- Uphold and enforce all program and University rules as outlined in staff and student handbooks and deemed essential for establishing a safe and respectful community.
- Serve as resource for all facets of residential life.
- Private room in residence hall for duration of training and VSA program.
- All meals while VSA is in session.
- Competitive monetary compensation.
Email a resume/CV and cover letter to Rosanna Forrest.