Summer SAVY 2018: Session 1, Day 5 – Dive into Design (Rising 1st)

Posted by on Friday, June 15, 2018 in Grade 1, SAVY.

Hello Parents.

It is hard to believe that this was our last day of Dive into Design. It has been a fast paced week of real life problem solving, with measurement. Today, students stepped back and reflected on their accomplishments this week, and they were very proud of themselves, as Miss Ashanti and I were as well! I think one of my favorite days was Thursday when students measured the three swimming pool model’s perimeter using non-standard and standard measurement tools. I saw so much evidence of scholarly characteristics such as perseverance, problem solving ideas, attending to details and precision, asking questions, and pushing thinking beyond expectations, as well as confidence, and my favorite, many ah-ha moments where I saw the light bulbs light up off the charts! Students finished the measuring of objects in their swimming model and had another day to further understand the skill of perimeter. They also had fun adding their own personal touched to their models. Some built slides, other diving boards and one student even made a lifeguard stand. I placed items and materials on the table and allowed students to design and build with the materials that they had in front of them.

Students then did their post concept map assessment on measurement. Students showed amazing growth from their first day pre-assessment concept map of measurement to their post-assessment concept map of measurement today.

Students had an opportunity today to create blueprints for a tree house, and a construction model with craft sticks. Perhaps, this summer, will afford time for you and your student to explore how they might actually build a tree house or even a birdhouse!

We ended our morning with about 20 minutes with ipads using a design app called KeyPlan/Life. Students loved using this app to design things for a house.

It was a pleasure meeting you all at the Open House, and seeing joy on the faces of our young mathematicians as they told you all about their week! I will be teaching Engineering Solutions, session 3, and I am looking forward to having several returning students from Dive into Design in my class.

Sincerely,

Ms. Tyson

Showing off the Pools at Open House